Monday, April 28, 2008

Driving School 101

I took an Arizona Defensive Driving course this past Saturday to remove a speeding ticket from my record. Here are a few things I took away from the 4 1/2 hour class.

1. Driving with Flip Flops on your feet is illegal.

2. Driving bare feet is also illegal.

3. Some 18 year old boys that come to the class at 7:30am don't shower- phew!

4. Drinking & driving with a child in the car is a criminal offense and means the difference of jail time vs prison time.

5. You can be charged with a DUI for sleeping in your car while parked in a parking lot. The reason being that the keys are easily accessible.

6. Previously, the class was 8 1/2 hours long and has been shortened to 4 1/2 (I personally think it could be shortened to 2 hours but I don't think my opinion counts- ha!)

7. There was an 18 year old that has had four speeding tickets and a 70 year old that has never had a ticket until now.

8. Someone in the class didn't understand why hands free devices were acceptable. The instructor explained that it's really no different than talking to passengers in the car- duh!

9. The instructor really knew his stuff and made the class interesting despite having to be there on a Saturday morning. However, he was a little overly excited and I wondered if he annoyed his family with talk of the rights and wrongs of driving.

10. The aggressive driving portion of the class hit a little close to home and it was suggested that help may be needed to control those aggressive feelings. Hmmm...I'm sure the LOML just might encourage this assessment.

Tomorrow I get to go visit our Superior Court. Yep, lucky me. Jury Duty.

No comments: